21 December 2014

Afternoon Walk In Newcastle

After pigging out on coffee and sushi we decided to go for a wander through Newcastle, it was a beautiful day and there was nothing better than wandering through the winding streets, weaving under bridges and admiring all of the old buildings and, of course, the bridges!




We headed for the Baltic, a huge art gallery with an amazing shop at the bottom filled with all sorts of goodies perfect for Christmas. The Baltic really reminded me of the Tate Modern in London and for anyone interested in modern art, or even hunting for unusual gifts this is definitely a spot for you to visit!

We were going to go for afternoon tea in their rooftop restaurant but unfortunately it was booked for a private function. So instead we headed down a floor to enjoy the beautiful views from the viewing platform...


Our bellies were soon rumbling after our huge walk so we headed back to Sunderland to meet Aidan's Auntie, Uncle and Cousin's Fiance for dinner.

We headed to the Italian Farmhouse in the Roker Hotel and it was delicious! The restaurant is incredibly cosy and had a real atmosphere from the moment we walked in.


A huge pizza oven dominated the entrance and I loved their wall decorations!



I didn't get too many snaps but you'll notice one thing... I had a very fishy meal! I ordered the fish platter for a starter and when it arrived I thought they had made a mistake, it was huge! If you're ever in the area and fancy a light lunch - this is what you should get!

Filled with a prawn cocktail, mussels, squid, pickled herring and bread it was a lovely starter and perfect for those of you that struggle to decide between fish!


My main was also fishy - prawns mussels and salmon in a garlic butter sauce. This was also incredibly tasty and the freshness of the fish really came through. However, Aidan wasn't as keen on his - he felt there was a tangy taste in the Salmon that didn't sit well with the rest of the dish.


We decided against pudding and waddled to the car, as soon as we were home we were plied with cheese, wine and all sorts of other treats!

I had a lovely first weekend in Newcastle and I absolutely loved my wander round - I found so many beautiful looking restaurants, I can't wait to go back and explore!

Where are your favourite spots in Newcastle? I would love to hear them, leave yours in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. My boyfriend is from Newcastle and I always love going up to visit his family. If you're looking for a nice afternoon tea, Blake's on Grey Street is lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! Definitely going to stop in there on our next visit. xx

      Delete